Sometimes we run out of ideas and inspiration when it comes to what we should pack for lunch. It can be especially difficult if you are trying to maintain a balanced and healthy diet!
Have no fear, Foodie Friday is here!!! Here are some great suggestions for a healthy lunch. Don’t be shy to mix and match items from different recipes. The key is to pick a protein, add a whole grain and choose some vegetables. You can also add some healthy fat for flavor.
1. Carrot-pineapple smoothie: Blend protein powder with milk or soy milk, cooked carrots and canned pineapple.
2. Mix plain Greek-style yogurt with a little honey and almond butter and top with fresh berries; plain baby carrots on the side.
3. Mash canned salmon with avocado on whole grain crackers; have a side of fresh cherry tomatoes.
4. Mix cooked quinoa with diced roasted chicken breast, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, vinaigrette dressing.
5. Spread a whole grain tortilla with mustard; layer with roasted turkey breast, tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, shredded carrots; roll up and slice.
6. Mix cooked black beans with diced cucumber, tomato, celery, avocado, cilantro; toss with salsa.
7. Top low fat cottage cheese with chopped cucumber, celery, carrots, peppers; season with salt and black pepper; enjoy with a few whole grain crackers.
8. Mix together cooked lentils with finely chopped kale, sliced orange, red onion; dress with plain Greek-style yogurt seasoned with salt, pepper, curry powder.
9. Salad of mixed greens and veggies topped with crumbled veggie burger; dress with olive oil vinaigrette.
10. Whole grain pita bread spread with hummus; stuffed with chopped vegetables and sliced hard-boiled eggs.