At FitClub24, our motto is “80% proper nutrition, 20% fitness and 100% mindset”. Mark Lachance is back with another article on leadership development. He shares with us some tips and advice on how to be a great entrepreneur and charismatic leader!
“Hesitation is the thief of opportunity” (Harry Korras)
Who is Harry Korras? It’s very possible that nobody in North America has ever heard of this man in their lives, I certainly never did. That is until this past weekend. I was fortunate enough to attend Robin Sharma’s, Leadership Development Training Event; The 48 Hour Transformation in Toronto. Sharma, a world renowned Leadership Guru and Author of ‘The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari,’ packed the Westin Hotel with over three hundred business owners, leaders, professional athletes, millionaires and billionaires from 41 different countries. Among the attendees was a young man from Australia named Harry Korras.
This man, according to Sharma is “The Best Entrepreneur in the world!” Imagine this, a sea of success and Sharma singles out this one gentleman! A billionaire from South Africa, a steel magnate from India, Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers and many other highly successful people, and Harry Korras is one of the only individuals in attendance to be mentioned and spotlighted in such high regards.
Upon hearing this proclamation, I was immediately intrigued. I had to find out who this guy was; I had to find out what made him tick. I had to get his success formula. If I was in the midst of greatness, I had to find out!
As luck would have it, on the very night that Sharma made that revealing statement, I happened to be sitting across the dinner table from the man himself, Harry Korras. What an opportunity to pick his brain and find out what made him tick!
I certainly took the opportunity and peppered him with question upon question; How and when did you start your company? What are your daily rituals? What makes you a winner? How do you manage your people? How do you stay motivated? To his credit, he was a complete gentleman and answered every question with exhaustive detail, he held nothing back.
This is the classic story of true grit and determination. From doorman at bars and nightclubs to Founder, CEO and 100% shareholder of a company with over 5000 employees valued at $200 Million named ACG Security in just 14 years!
He shared his Success Formula with me:
1. Stamina and energy exude confidence; he wakes up at 5:00 AM every morning and heads straight to the gym for one hour. This helps his mind and body stay sharp.
2. Great relationships; He is fair and very giving to his employees and friends. As he says it “I’ll give you the shirt off of my back if you need it.”
3. Rewards and recognition; He truly believes in rewarding and recognizing all successes big and small. He believes that people love being recognized and will perform at peak state with a simple pat on the back.
4. Be the best in the world; His two motto’s are “Make it happen” and “Hesitation is the thief of opportunity”. He says that the only way to be the best is to model the best by constantly reading and developing your brain for greatness. He says that you need to develop a strategy and daily rituals that develop and strengthen your mind, body and spirit. Never ever procrastinate!
5. Keep it simple and positive; Always stay positive even in the toughest times and never overcomplicate things. He says that if you deliver the best possible service then things will happen automatically.
6. Giving back, support charity; Harry says that an unintended consequence of his generosity is that everything that he has given has come back many times over. Giving is tonic for the soul.
7. Love in the office: hugs, high fives and total respect to his employees
In a nutshell, his message is crystal clear; get on a regimented daily ritual, treat people with respect and go full out all of the time.
No MBA in his back pocket and no parent with deep pockets, just real honest hard work, guts and extreme willpower to make it happen.